Thursday, October 07, 2004

London restaurants lose gound?

The Times reports on the 2005 Good Food Guide:
Some of the most creative and imaginative cooking in the UK is taking place outside London.
The capital is not about to lose its position at the culinary vanguard, but it is great to see such good things happening all over the country, sometimes in unexpected locations.


The only problem is that a lot of these "good things" are expensive Michelin starred restaurants (this does not mean they are poor value). You can get good food all over the country if you are willing to pay for it - the real challenge is to eat like you would in Italy (for example) for £5-£10 a head. When we begin to approach the Italian version, we can say that UK food culture is getting somewhere. With few exceptions, all of the culinary excellence (Michelin starred) in this country can be traced back to a handful of chefs in France. This isn't a bad thing, but it serves as a reminder that indigenously, we have some way to go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brother Roy said...

http://www.broroy.com/Viva_Las_Vegas.html

6 October 2005 at 00:07  
Anonymous Slots said...

Hi Peter A Rossi I’ve been looking for Slots related blogs and I came across yours on London restaurants lose gound? during my trawl, so I thought it would be polite to let you know about my visit. I have just recently started a daily news feed on my own site and you are most welcome to come and visit me at Slots. I would also be happy to trade links with you if you are interested. Bye for now and have a nice day! Roy

4 December 2005 at 04:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home