Saturday, October 23, 2004

Why the EU sucks part 6

There is currently a shortage of lard in Europe!
Yes, I am as worried as you. I make my short crust pastry with butter, but I use lard for my mincemeat and christmas pudding, so I hope the situation improves.
The cause? New members of the EU from east Europe:
The poor supply, which is also affecting the continent, is being blamed on former eastern bloc countries which joined the European Union on May 1.
Meat industry buyers from these countries have been snapping up cheap cuts of pork and using them for their sausages, salamis and pies. It is this excess meat which traditionally has been rendered to fat to make lard. One source said the east European buyers were placing bulk orders for a regular supply of this meat, outpricing the lard manufacturers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home