Friday, January 14, 2005

Technological progress

Whilst recarpeting my room I found some old newspapers from 1999 and the PC World advertisments illustrate the speed of technological development.

In 1999, £1000 would have bought me the following:
Compaq - Intel Celeron 466mhz, 128mb ram, 8 gb hd, 5x dvd-rom, 17 inch monitor.

In 2005, the same amount of money gets me:
Compaq - Pentium 4 530, 512mb ram, 160 gb hd, 16x dvd-rom + ram, 17inch flat monitor.

Not bad. So generally, for less money I can do more on my computer. For me, this is the essence of technological development, and makes a mockery of Diamond's claim below that we don't need such development. This type of development frees up resources to be used elsewhere more effectively.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help! I am lost. I was searching for computer mouse and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

5 October 2005 at 02:44  
Anonymous 16x dvd blank media said...

Hi there Blogger, a real useful blog.Keep with the good work.
If you have a moment, please visit my 16x dvd blank media site.
I send you warm regards and wishes of continued success.

9 August 2006 at 21:24  
Anonymous 1click dvd ripper said...

Hey Fellow, you have a top-notch blog here!
If you have a moment, please have a look at my 1click dvd ripper site.
Good luck!

10 August 2006 at 09:19  
Anonymous 1st dvd ripper said...

This is an excellent blog. Keep it going.You are providing
a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my 1st dvd ripper site.
Have a great week!

10 August 2006 at 18:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home